Are you ELT's newest TV Star?

For the first time ever, in the long History of Teaching English as a Foreign Language, an opportunity to go glam has come up.

You can become a TV Star.

Seriously.




So what do you have to do?

Read through these guidelines and enter a video of yourself by March 1st, 2010.


Who do you have to be?

A teacher and member of the English Language Teaching Community who has secretly always dreamed of reaching the stars... (oh alright then, who fancies having a bit of fun, doesn't feel too silly about loading up a video into Youtube and who thinks it's a smashing opportunity to share professional development and what we'll be learning there about teaching English with other global trainers).

Best,
Karenne

p.s. The video above is available on youtube here -if you'd like to share the video with your own blog readers - if you have one - you're welcome to.  To do a video response of your own, click on the line that looks like this:




and follow the instructions there - you can also use your webcam to enter.

p.p.s. (My entry is there - if I can try it, you can too!).

13 Responses to “Are you ELT's newest TV Star?”

  • Tara Benwell says:
    February 20, 2010

    Fun! I just posted this to TEFL.net's Facebook account and will do my best to spread the word to other teachers! I've often wondered who would create the first ELT reality series...Survival English or something like that...

  • KALINAGO ENGLISH says:
    February 20, 2010

    Heee hee... It was my dream to do a long-running soap opera (write the script for it, not act in it) based in a language institute. Bit of fun with language lessons after 20 mins.

    I think Lindsay Clandfield once mentioned that he'd like to do reality show, though.. can't quite remember, it was that or a movie!

  • Unknown says:
    February 20, 2010

    Ho ho ho, I saw this with my laptop pressed against my ear cos I didn't have my earphones. Will want to see this video again better at home. Sounds like a lot of fun, and Karenne yes you're right I did want to do a reality show with English teachers but it has never happened. I certainly know now who could be the host of the show...
    Although I will have my flip camera with me at IATEFL and aim on doing a bit of guerilla reality reporting from there!
    Thanks for spreading the word.

  • darren says:
    February 22, 2010

    Can I just say how much I like your accent?

  • KALINAGO ENGLISH says:
    February 22, 2010

    Ar, Darren that's super nice of you - I'm afraid it's a real mish-mash of living in different countries my whole life and often I think I sound really weird because words are accented the way they were where I learned them - if that makes any sense. So ta, very much, that's very nice of you!

    K

  • KALINAGO ENGLISH says:
    February 22, 2010

    Lindsay, I had a great daydream about this on the way home this evening...

    Film it on a island (Grenada, Grenada !!!) and then fill a lovely plantation house with learners from all over the world (none speaking each others languages of course) and then different teachers using different methodologies and practices : pitting techie teachers against the textbook users and the dogmeists working away in the corner and every week, me checking in on the progress and sitting down with the students to grab feedback interviews on their progress and we'd take movies of them in studies... or diving for buried treasure and visiting the nutmeg factory...and talking about learning...OMG, this could be such fun.

    Anyone out there got a million bucks?

    Come on, I want to be ELTs first Big brother reporter.... me, me, me!

  • Adam says:
    February 23, 2010

    Iz there any way I can absolutely guarantee that I'm not a part of this?

  • KALINAGO ENGLISH says:
    February 23, 2010

    of the Big Brother or the ELT TV Star?

    Come on, Adam, you know you really want to be stranded on an island with me doing the feedback checks; Tara doing e-learning, Darren, who's of course, doing the dogme; Lindsay on textbooks and hmmm... what could you do? I know, given a quick perusal of your blog - you could do an exam preparation course!

    FCE prep anyone - filmed live!!!

    K

  • Adam says:
    February 23, 2010

    Didn't mean to belittle your fine work in the least, I should have made my own personal loathing for appearing in front of the camera more clear.

    Good luck with what sounds like a great project.

  • Tara Benwell says:
    February 23, 2010

    You had me at "island". It's a winter wonderland out my window.

  • Bethany Cagnol says:
    February 26, 2010

    Love the TV reality idea. My students are familiar with my obsession with this cotton candy form of entertainment.

    One idea I've always had is to film a week-long materials design reality show. A dozen or so candidates live together in a house and they are given various materials design tasks throughout the week (e.g. ESP, EAP, Young Learners). They are then evaluated by a panel of Materials Design greats (e.g. David Cotton, Mark Powell, Jeremy Day, Lindsay Clandfield). Every day a winner and a loser are chosen. At the end of the week the winner gets a free materials design course, or an all-expense-paid trip to IATEFL (British Council take note), or or or...heck, a trip to Grenada!

    This could be done at IATEFL, with the winner announced at the end of the conference.

    How about it? For 2011? Who's with me?!

  • KALINAGO ENGLISH says:
    February 26, 2010

    I love this idea! Hope the BC's listening :-D

  • KALINAGO ENGLISH says:
    February 26, 2010

    p.s. loved your video btw - you're an absolute pro tv star!

    K

 

Visitors and Regular Readers

Facebook

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Communities of Practice

Blog Archive

Directories, catalogs and Back Links

Adult Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory Add to Technorati Favorites



The EFL ESL Blog List TotalESL.com - ESL/EFL/TEFL Teaching Jobs and Teacher Resumes

International Blogging Directory

Recent Posts

Simply Conversations

Pedagogically sound materials designed to get your students actively talking:

Free Samples
Conversation Control

Shop
General English
Business English
ESP



Learn more on why these work