That rush, that knowledge high

Spenserian vowels that elope with ease,
and float along like birds o'er summer seas

who read for me the sonnet swelling loudly,
up to its climax
and then dying proudly?

Keats

Have you ever paid attention to what you feel like when you've just mastered something new?

The high that goes with I did it myself?

That flush of knowledge which you can't wait to share with everyone else?

Have you ever seen that jolt... that micro-second pause followed by a quick flash in your student's eyes when she suddenly realizes, a-ha, she's got "it"?

Nay, not just that but has successfully applied the new language in an altogether different context?

The joy of acquisition?

Before you rush off... thinking whoa, Karenne is just totally off the page today, and I begin to agree with you... tell me what it looks like, that glorious rush in learning.

And tell me what happens after that.

Best,
Karenne


Interesting links
:

2 Responses to “That rush, that knowledge high”

  • Anne Hodgson says:
    October 26, 2009

    I loved starting the keyboard at age 45, and I spent about half an hour a day on it for a year (before I became a blogger, and writing became my thing).

    Learning didn't really come all in a rush, it was more glowing and emergent, this going back to the same thing again, and again, and yet again, and then suddenly getting it right. That joy would help me surge enough to help me surf over the next mistakes I made, to keep me going and learning. The experience of success is key to success. That's what makes us hooked on learning.

  • Marisa Constantinides says:
    October 26, 2009

    Hi Karenne, I get my highs from teaching mostly, not learning - that I take more or less for granted, that I will be learning new things all the time, every day.

    But learning in others is not something I take for granted as well, so yes, their "rush" is my rush, their knowledge high gives me mine and I watch for the signs like a hawk, otherwise, where would I get my fix? :-) :-) :-)

 

Visitors and Regular Readers

Facebook

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Communities of Practice

Blog Archive

Directories, catalogs and Back Links

Adult Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory Add to Technorati Favorites



The EFL ESL Blog List TotalESL.com - ESL/EFL/TEFL Teaching Jobs and Teacher Resumes

International Blogging Directory

Recent Posts

Simply Conversations

Pedagogically sound materials designed to get your students actively talking:

Free Samples
Conversation Control

Shop
General English
Business English
ESP



Learn more on why these work